The beginning of the year is as good a time as any for confessions. As an IT professional, a technology hit man, my task is to automate and improve the efficiency of business processes using state of the art information and communication technologies. I am to reduce costs by seeking out and eliminate waste wherever it lies in the organization. In recent times, my responsibilities have evolved to include increasing revenues by enabling new and previously impossible business models within organizations. Unfortunately, I and most of my fellow hit men, have performed below expectations. This is why I feel the need to confess, not just for myself, but on behalf of all technology hit men (and women) around the world. To the hardworking men and women in organizations that constantly rely on us, we say sorry. We are sorry that:
- We constantly modified your business processes to suit our technologies, instead of the other way around.
- Instead of providing business agility, we have delivered projects extremely slowly, and held other functional areas of the business like marketing and sales hostage.
- Despite our promises of improved efficiency and cost-reduction, our rapidly escalating budgets are making you increasingly anxious.
Dear customers, although our problems are many, the good news is that we are aware of them. We are working to serve you better, and with some of the tools at our disposal, tools like:
- Cloud computing, which allows us to deliver compute power, storage and memory at a flexible and cost-effective way.
- Loosely coupled systems, which allows us to build and integrate applications faster.
- Agile development which improves accountability and eliminates waste among our developers.
- Continuous delivery and deployment which allows us to rapidly and efficiently improve the capabilities of our systems.
We believe that we will quickly overcome our weaknesses and serve you better in the future.